Friday, January 4, 2008

Quinceañeras today

WTF?!?! Oh heeeellllll no.........lol. These are some of my reactions to a few videos of quinceañera "dances" that were found on Youtube. I was in 2 quinceaneras not even 10 years ago and our dances were nothing like this. They were actually waltzes that were much more traditional and family appropriate like this one:


But no no no my friend. The times have changed. These next few videos will show you how. First we have a dance to Soulja Boy. Yes, Soulja Boy. The overplayed, kind of Jamaican sounding song that seems to be everywhere. First off, do they know what the lyrics to this song mean? Second, if you're gonna dance to this can't you at least use the edited version? You know your grandma is there! Last, was it really necessary to use that little boy? Check out the end. She's actually "flying" like Superman. For some reason this song is getting played at a lot of quinces.



Next one. Are you going to dance like this in front of your papá and abuela? My ass woulda got slapped!



And don't forget the themed quince. This young lady decided to go with Beauty and the Beast. Honestly, the Beast looks pretty ridiculous.



Ahhhh yes. The coming of age party for a young girl's transition into womanhood. On a lighter note, the movie Quinceañera was actually really good and showed what I think really goes on with teenagers. I give it 2 thumbs up.

3 comments:

miss r said...

Thanks for the bday wish! :)

Love the videos. I was watching those one day and saw a very sad performance of Step In the Name of Love by R.Kelly. The comments were pretty funny. Check it out. hehe

ChiTown Girl said...

Holy mother of God!! WTF!?!? OK, I've never been to or seen what happens at a Quinceaneras, but I hope to God it's more like the first video. That was really nice. What in the world were the next two!? Who in their right mind dances to a song like Soulja Boy?! In front of their families?! WITH a little boy?!!? The whole video was appalling. They looked like bangers in training. And did the birthday girl need such short shorts? Ridiculous!!

The next one was even more disturbing! This one was HOs in training, apparently. WTF!? My ass woulda got knocked out, not just slapped! What the hell kind of parents think it's wonderful that their daughter and all her cousins and friends put on a show of simulated sex for everyone? Those little boys probably had sticky little pants when that was over. Their crotches got more ass in that video than a public toilet! Disgusting!

Now the last one, ok, maybe 15 is a little old for Beauty and the Beast, but I'd rather see that 100 times before seeing either of the other two again!

Sheesh! Thanks for letting me vent! :) BTW, this is Dori's friend, "Momma Lopez." I'm going to be checking back frequently. Today was the first time I checked out your blog, and I love it!!

Ñ said...

Welcome! Thank you for your comments. I would love to hear from you. I gathered from previous responses to some of Dori's blogs that you both worked together and didn't always enjoy your work experiences :)

I haven't been to a quinceanera in awhile, but unfortunately there are a lot of these kinds of dances going on. Who knows what some of the parents are thinking!